So, yesterday was a "fun" day for America. We were asked as citizens of the United States of America, to vote for a new president. Some of us fulfilled our duty, and others of us did not. As a country, we have elected Barack Obama as our new President of the United States. He is the first half African-American to become president, this country is sure evolving. As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we are told in the 12th Article of Faith that we believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law. Which, is why I will not "complain" about our new president. We need to sustain him, and support him. No, I may not have wanted him to win the election, but since he did, I will just have to deal with it.
Also, in other election news, I just found out that Proposition 8 in California passed! Which reinstates the definition of marriage, that it is between a man and a woman, and not a same gender union. I was really kind of scared there for a little bit, that it wasn't going to pass. Everyone that I had talked to while I was home this past weekend was "Yes on 8". But then, I was talking to my cousin about it yesterday and she was a big "No on 8" supporter. And, it got me scared and thinking, that there are probably many more like her out there in California. Most, if not all, of my friends back home whether gay or straight, were "Yes on 8" supporters. So, it got me to thinking, did the people who were voting "No on 8" really know what they were voting for? I don't know that they did. I don't think that they knew all of the facts. And, now that it's over, I'm not about to share them with you, I'm just saying for future reference, when there is a proposition up for vote that is going to effect SOOOO many people, everyone might want to check their facts. And, for those who are LDS, you might want to listen to the Prophet and our other general authorities, because I think that they know what they're talking about. They receive message straight from God, and I'm pretty sure that he knows all things, so it's good to listen to him.
7 years ago




No comments:
Post a Comment