January 23, 2010

saying goodbye to a good friend

This morning at about 8:40, one of my friends lost his fight with cancer. His name is Danny Vargas. He was one of the nicest and sweetest people I have ever known. And, I will miss him so much.

He had one of the most infectious smiles, ever. He was always happy and if you were sad or in a bad mood, just by talking to him that would change.


One of my favorite memories of him was the summer going into my junior year of high school. He REALLY liked my sister, and she liked him too. Well, he got off of work and wanted to come over and hangout with her, but it was like 10:30. He was going to go through in-n-out and bring my sister something to eat, so my mom said, "He can only come over if he brings me something, too." So, about 30 minutes later, the doorbell rings, it's Danny with in-n-out in hand for himself, Lauren, AND my mom. It was hilarious! I was wondering where mine was! Then he felt bad that he didn't bring me any, and offered me his burger (such a sweetheart) but, I was just kidding, and didn't care. But, I thought it was so sweet that he liked my sister that much, that he would bring my mom in-n-out just to hangout with Lauren.

Another memory of him is from high school, and how I will always remember him. He was on the Varsity baseball team, my freshman year (he was a senior) and I remember him ALWAYS wearing his letterman jacket to school. And, he was one of those seniors who didn't care if you were a senior or freshman, he would say hi to you and give you a huge hug. I remember at lunch, he would "hangout" on the ledge in front of the gym and I would always walk by to go get food at the student store, and he would stop me just to give me a hug and see how my day was going. As a freshman, that's a big deal... a senior stopping you to say hi, let alone a Varsity baseball player! He made me feel welcome and like he cared about me.

My most recent memories are from when I was living in Utah. When I first moved out there in the summer of 2008, Danny was also living in Provo. As soon as he found out that I was there as well, he offered to take me out to lunch, just so I would feel and know that there was someone out there who cared about me. After the summer he moved home to California, and we would talk almost everyday. I remember when he was diagnosed with cancer, I started crying. He told me not to be sad because he was going to fight it and beat it, and be back out in Utah snowboarding with me! He had his laptop with him everyday of his treatments, and we would talk on facebook chat everyday. I kept reminding him of his promise to me, to come back out to Utah, and we would joke and talk about everything BUT cancer and his chemo treatments. He would tell me how jealous he was that I was in Utah, in the snow, and I would tell him how jealous I was that he was in sunny California, but we would completely take our minds off of cancer.

He was so excited when I got engaged, and he had the biggest heart of anyone I've ever known. I will miss his smile. But, until we meet again, I will keep that mental picture of him in his letterman jacket and varsity baseball uniform.

Danny, I miss you, but I know you're looking down on me telling me not to be sad. I <3 you!

No comments: