December 15, 2009

OUR new family

Brandon and I had a FABULOUS weekend this weekend with our new family. (Or at least that's what the 4 of us are calling it.)

Brandon just recently moved out of his parents house and moved into the house that we will be living in when we're married. He's living with his best friend, Jared. The house is well, a fixer upper, but it honestly isn't that bad. The outside of the house is a little scary looking, the paint is chipping off of places and the lawn is less than pretty, but it's been fun getting to work on it with Hayley and the boys. The inside of the house is another story. The inside looks AMAZING! The floors are pretty much all laminate wood floors, it is fully furnished, has a beautiful wood burning fireplace, and it truly is becoming a home (not just a house).

Well, since the boys are living together (and doing pretty much everything together), it gives Jared and Hayley and myself and Brandon PLENTY of time to spend together. We LOVE having movie nights with them, going to musicals, and seriously just doing whatever. Brandon and I love having our alone time (I mean, what couple doesn't?). But, we seriously love spending time with our friends too. On Sunday night, Brandon and I invited a ton of our friends over for a movie night. Since it was a Sunday and a bit of a drive, only Alden and Richard came out. But, we loved having them over.

WE love spending time with other people, who like spending time with us. Obviously I'm not with Brandon 24/7, but we do love to spend time together, too. He has his own life, and he does have his own friends, as do I. We just love mixing those things together. Which brings me to family situations. It's no secret (to anyone who reads my blog) that Brandon's family doesn't like me. For holidays, when you are a couple, you have to figure holidays out. I mean, you can't spend the entire holiday with one family, but at the same time, the COUPLE should be invited to both family's holiday get togethers. Whether you are dating, engaged, or married, the holidays are time to spend with the people or person that you love. And ultimately, the couple decides where they are going. If one member of the couple has been uninvited to a holiday activity, why would the other member of that couple want to go? Exactly, doesn't make sense... does it?

This brings me to I guess my conclusion of this post. Brandon and I are in the process of becoming our own family. And, in our family, we do not exclude anyone who wishes to be included, whether they are blood or not.

No comments: